Travelling in India

Update: If you are a friend/foe staying in Bangalore, and would like to talk, or meet, mail me your phone number at mail you-know-what-goes-here carthik.net and I will call you.

It’s been a week since I landed in India now. My plans for taking lots of photographs fell flat on it’s face since the battery charger does not work on 220 V/50 Hz. So the camera is out of power for now. I will fix this soon.

So I arrived in a terribly silent Bombay airport at 3 AM on the 3rd of July. I said “thank you” to the customs clerk, who stared at me for one terribly long second. That screamed “Welcome home” more than anything else. No “thank you”s or “sorry”s in my land. The shuttle that took me from the international airport to the domestic airport travelled under the nose of the plane I just landed in, through the runways – very exciting.

I had a long 9 hour wait at the airport, so me an my friend headed out. I decided to risk it all and had a dosa and a tea at a dinghy looking restaurant. My tummy is not the same as it was in the US, but I am up and about and everything is fine. The dust, smoke and pollution affects my nose, but then again, I am okay, so everything’s good.

I attended my friend’s wedding, and then another, and had two heavy meals after what seems like an eternity. Grandma, my father and everyone else are fine. It is amazing to see how the old change, and so fast, while the young – folks my age – do not change. I would have expected it to be the other way round.

I left with my father for Guruvayoor, Trichur, and now I am in Bangalore, alone, at my sister’s place. My nephew is active, and lively, and talkative, and quite a trip. The candies and GI Joes survived the long trip from Walmart to Bangalore remarkably well.

Yesterday I met Siddharth after three years. He was once my roommate and is a good friend. He looks a little thinner, and is quite the same.

I browse in fits and starts at browsing centers. Thankfully, due to the dollar – rupee conversion rate, I don’t feel the pinch here, though things are a lot more expensive.

All my friends and relatives go to work during the day, so I have nowhere to go right now, and dial up internet is too slow.

Lots of time for introspection, and speculation.

This entry was posted in friends, Yours Truly and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Travelling in India

1. Arvind says:

Ooh I’m in Bangalore at the moment but besides debating the age-old topic of MT vs. WP (:P) I wonder what else we have in common!

2. robotgeek says:

Hey Carthik,

Good to know you are having fun!

I still havent made the trip back home in abt 2 years, so when I go, it should be a lot of fun!

Hv fun!

3. Sumant says:

Bhai,
    God to know you are in good spirits. Do not forget to spend some time alone at all the places you grew up in. Go for a walk down the street at dawn, chat with your old doodhwala, get fresh vegetables for your dadiji from the market. Bring back some good memories from your trip. :)
    Enjoy. I miss you here.

4. Sarah says:

Hey Carthik,
    Miss you a lot! I have no one else here to bother with my boring life! (When are you back, ha ha) I hope you keep enjoying your trip. I am not as poetic as Sumant, ha ha….but have a great time. Eat lots and be merry! Oh by the way…dial-up it must be klling you!! Later Dude 😉 Sarah

5. hpnadig says:

Hi carthik,

Looks like I missed it. Reading it after almost 10 days of posting 😉 Are you still in Bangalore? ‘ve mailed you my cell no. Give me a call if possible.

6. Anonymous says:

Hi Carthik,

I just wanted to say hi. I hope you are having fun in India.

BTW, I am the last person whom you will expect to be on your blog.. Guess who ???

Take care..:)

7. admin says:

Dear Anonymous person in North New Jersey (?) Nice to hear from you. The person I’d least expect to leave a comment on my blog is my father. Since you call me “Carthik”, you should be a friend, or an acquaintance — not someone I am related to, directly. My mind fails me when I try to think of people in New Jersey that I would know of, so there you are — that is as far as I can get with guessing who you are?

So who are you?

8. tech dude says:

Hi Carthik,
    I recently setup a handful of wordpress blogs and with that the default blogrolls. Today I just happened to click on some of those just for fun and landed up here. Your blog is pretty interesting … you write on a wide array of interesting topics.

Now I have added this to my favs :).

Regards.

9. Sindhura says:

I was browsing for news on RECW to check on how it’s been doing lately and came across your blog. It’s darn good. Going by your name, you gotto be a Tam Bram. Have been analysing lot of “South Indian” communities over the past 2 years and I find it rather fascinating.
    Just wanted to let you know that your blog is very informative n fun.