Stars Wars III, Sith and the World We Inhabit

Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker to Obi Wan Kenobi : “You are either with me, or my enemy.”
Obi Wan, in reply: “Only the Sith speak in absolutes. Now I must do what I have to.”
Obi Wan then turns his tubelight on, and starts the fight.

Point is, has anyone else heard the “You are with us, or against us” logic recently? I can’t recollect where I last heard it, for the life of me.

Star Wars – III is entertaining. No nude women, no jokes, but lots of eye candy. I even found myself thinking, whenever Yoda spoke — splitting sentences in half and rejoining them the right way requires a little effort.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Stars Wars III, Sith and the World We Inhabit

1. Arvind says:

Jokes or Nude women would’ve split up the movie well IMO. It was like Lucas suddenly realized how bad Ep 2 was and jam packed all the action into Ep 3. After a while it just got too much. It was only the second half of the movie did I really think was good.

Besides the action/sfx overkill, the dialogue and acting was ridiculously bad. The original trilogy remain my favourites.

2. Sumant says:

Here you go carthik:

Bush’s post-Sept. 11 statement:

Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. “Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists”

I am sure Bush was given a sneek preview of the movie..

3. admin says:

Arvind, dude, I was kidding about the jokes and nudes :)

Sumant, thanks for the link, I was only being sarcastic ;)

4. Echo says:

It takes effort that much not.

5. libcat says:

The lovely linguists at Language Log (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/) have done several posts on Yoda’s syntax — See “Yoda’s syntax the Tribune analyzes; supply more details I will!” (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002173.html), “Speak this way I do because wiser than I actually am I sound” (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002176.html), “Syntax is a disturbance in the there” (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002178.html), and “Unclear of Yoda’s syntax the principles are, if any” (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002182.html). (This wouldn’t look nearly as crappy if i were sure this comment system interpreted HTML links….)

6. Michael Pate says:

Isn’t Obi-Wan’s statement absolutist in its own right? – Is Jesus a Sith Lord?

In the original trilogy, Luke struggled against the absolutism of Obi-Wan and Yoda. It was Luke who insisted that there was still good in Vader, which Yoda and Obi-Wan rejected. – Betraying Story Continuity to Score Political Points

7. Ed says:

Hello Carthik:

I would not read into the Star Wars/Bush thing too much. I thought you were conservative?

And in the end of Star Wars the series: Good won against Evil right? So what are the terrorists good or evil?

8. Bald Eagle says:

Ed, whoever you are, you are an idiot. You can be a conservative and not be a supporter of Bush. As far as I am concerned, levelheaded republicans are the country’s only hope as long as the party has a hold of both the legislative and executive branch of the government.

Evil is using fear tactics to pressure your people into what you want them to do (anyone noticed that there has been terror level changes since the elections?). Evil is to sacrifice over a thousand of your own soldiers (and leave 10,000+ crippled) to satisfy your own desire for vengeance (according to the British top secret document reveled last week, Bush wanted to go after Iraq regardless, and DID pressure the intelligence community to make a case for it).

If you are a conservative, be a patriot and oppose the evil that Bush represents!

9. Avinash Vora says:

Hey,

I didn’t really enjoy Star Wars a whole load. In fact, I watched this awesome Hindi movie on Friday called “D”…I reviewed both movies on my site.

10. admin says:

Bald Eagle,

Easy, man!

Ed,

I don’t think of myself as being conservative, or liberal, for that matter.
    About “Good” winning, and terrorists being “evil” I wholeheartedly agree, but I am not convinced that deception is “good”. Committing “Evil” acts in the name (excuse?) of fighting terrorism is “evil”, and I hope that the government realizes that lies don’t get them too far. I am all for fighting terrorism, and all forms of evil, including the evil that deception brings.

Many a time, I have had to question the sincerity with which the administration fights terrorism, and I wonder if they are not using fear, and uncertainty to craft the “truth” the way they desire to.