New species of giant ape?

A friend on a mailing list points me to a BBC article speculating on the discovery of a new species of giant ape.

Much of the article makes for interesting reading. Do things like …

Primatologist Shelly Williams is thought to be the only scientist to have seen the apes.

During her visit to DR Congo two years ago, she says she captured them on video and located their nests.

She describes her encounter with them: “Four suddenly came rushing out of the bush towards me,” she told New Scientist.

“If this had been a bluff charge, they would have been screaming to intimidate us. These guys were quiet. And they were huge. They were coming in for the kill. I was directly in front of them, and as soon as they saw my face, they stopped and disappeared.”

and

The animals, with characteristics of both gorillas and chimpanzees, have been sighted in the north of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to local villagers, the apes are ferocious, and even capable of killing lions.

really happen?

It reads like a fictional article from a movie, say, like Jurassic Park, or Lara Croft, or something.

The first thing I thought when I read …

was, “Wow!, that must be some face, then.”

I know, I’m stupid and evil and insensitive, and perhaps a jerk too, but I have to admit, I had to laugh as soon as I read about the face that made the evil monkeys turn and flee. :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New species of giant ape?

1. Jamall says:

absolutely hillarious…my 1st thot – this a script for the next Wayan’s Bro’s movie…..

2. Podz says:

My first thought was ‘Congo’ – yours is much much better :)

It is Congo, too!

4. Abhishek says:

Could be the ‘Return of Hybrid King Kong’… :lol:

5. Prashant says:

On a related note, I’m sure you read about the Hobbits from Flores!

6. c says:

an ape can’t bear to be stared at by another ape, an ape can’t look at his face in mirror, so they are shocked by even an ordinary face staring.

7. Shawn Williford says:

I think that is awesome that you “may have found a new species, or subspecies”, and you know what, who cares if other people don’t believe you, you know what you saw. I wish I could have seen them too. I do wildlife photography, and if you are ever looking for someone or need someone, let me know.
    sswilliford@yahoo.com

8. greystoke says:

these apes are the last of their kind . I have lived among them for many years